Saturday, April 07, 2007

The Sodom and Gommorah Show...

Well, last night I attended the Pet Shop Boys concert at the Hordern Pavillion at Fox. With friends! Yes, that's right, I did find some people to go with. It was most unexpected to be honest, I had decided to go solo when I recieved a call from a client who is also gay and has become a friend (as much as a client can be a friend...it's a fine line). He and his partner have been shopping for a new house and were going to an auction on Thurs morning, so I asked him to let me know how they went. He rang (they were unsuccessful) but we got chatting about the weekend and I mentioned that I was going to PSB. He said that he really wanted to go, but didn't think there'd be tix left. Having only just purchased my ticket about an hour previous to our conversation, I assured him that there were. He wanted to check with his partner first but 15 mins later, it was all sorted.

So, 6pm last night I fronted up to their house, they made me dinner, and we had a couple of drinks and off to the concert we went.

ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY FAB-U-LOUS!!!!!! How good are these guys, mid-40's and still pumping out great music! I read a review recently that said that their latest album, Fundamental, is their best album in a decade, pure vintage PSB, and it is a great album. The fact that they headlined the V Festival last weekend speaks volumes about their ongoing influence and relevance!

The demographic of the audience also spoke volumes about their influence and relevance...to the 30+ market. Hardly any youngsters there...lots of my age bracket up to the mid 50's - mostly gay (naturally) but still there were straight middle-aged couples there too! And the oldd 30something girl with her somewhat reluctant and uncomfortable boyfriend (and that speaks volumes about how much he obviously likes her). There was one couple like that just in front of us...he did look uncomfortable but I can hardly blame him - he was HOT and we were all checking him out! Poor boy! Daniel in the lions den and all that!

So I had a great time - danced and sang along to all their classics as well as the material from Fundamental - the encore was brilliant, culminating in "Go West", which if my memory serves me correct, was HUGE at the time of their last visit here in the early 90's. It's so anthemic and the crowd LOVED it! It's amazing to be in a crowd that is 95% male who are all singing along at the top of their voices...incredible! We came very close to drowning out the Boys - fantastic! They eventually came back on stage to take their final bows and were pursuaded to sing one last song..."Being Boring". Which just took the cake in my books - it's a song which has lots of meaning for me, for all sorts of reasons - it is a melancholy kinda song, but also very reassuring. It was a wonderful way to conclude the concert!

So night one of my long weekend in Sydney has been AWESOME! My friend Baz just sms'ed me with the time and location to meet up tonight for our trashy night out and I'm excited!

3 comments:

Tom said...

Glad you enjoyed the PSB... I'm not such a fan of Fundamental... it's good but not as good as their earlier stuff. Have you seen their musical, Closer to Heaven? Not sure if it's been on in Aus, unfortunately I missed it in London but it's supposed to be great.

Monty said...

To be honest, all their old songs got a bigger reaction - they can really crank out the good dance pop!

Englishman in London said...

Hey,
I did text you back last night prior to PSB concert. No doubt you will get it around Christmas!

Not be in tomorrow for chat, but we can catch up during the week - schools out!

You name the time and place!

Hug

Labels