Monday, September 03, 2007

As Good As It Gets...?

This is a bit of a miscellaneous blog really, as there's a couple of things on my mind.


Firstly, I'm cheesed off with my home PC, as it's got narky and decided not to work! Extremely frustrating as I cannot now access my Hotmail account which is my main personal email address nor can I access Gaydar. This (GD) has not been as vital, as my time is otherwise occupied but still, I'm a popular boy - I like to keep my fingers in the dating pie so to speak.


Speaking of which, I had a lovely and most unexpectedly involved weekend with Bruce. Originally, we had intended on meeting up on Friday night - he had a work Do on, and I was attending a charity Trivia night with Evan and McDreamy and we were going to meet later on. As it turned out, his work Do was boring as, and so he came early and joined our Trivia table. And of course, won the major raffle prize (3 nights accommodation at some hotel on Bondi Beach) and a random prize (a champagne bucket). I got to keep the champers bucket! But I digress. Original plan was for me to spend Friday night at his place and that was it for the weekend - we weren't going to see one another after that. Saturday morning came and went with me still in his bed, eventually being dragged out at 12.15 for a shopping expedition in the city. Let me tell you, this man can shop!!! I'm a fan! And he loves my favourite store, David Jones'! What a man! He was originally going to drop me home after that however instead, invited me to go out with him to another charity thing that he was attending...believe it or not, another Trivia night! Not being one to pass up a Trivia night (and more particuarly, to spend more time with him), I agreed! Another fun night was had and again, I fully expected him to drop me home afterwards. But, he suggested I stay the night with him and I wasn't going to say no to an offer like that. Sunday morning was another highly pleasant sleep-in, followed by a stroll around Surry Hills and another bout of retail therapy! I ended up buying myself this funky hat which I am quite excited about now! He eventually dropped me back at my house, wearing mostly his clothes (as I hadn't been prepared for an all weekend stay) at around 2pm yesterday. It was such a lovely day that I then toddled on down to my local park and read the paper in the warm Spring sun. A perfect end to the weekend!


BUT, and there's a "but", whilst it was a very very good weekend, we did have a big chat on Saturday morning whilst lying in bed. He sincerely feels that he cannot give me any more than he is currently giving, which, for all intents and purposes, is a friendship with snuggling benefits. He doesn't think that he's able to embark on a romantic relationship with anyone at the moment and as much as he really likes me, does want to be upfront with me in this respect. Naturally, I'd like more with him as I am really attracted to him, and he knows that. But, after the debacle that was the Gent in Question in May/June, I have been quite cautious in opening up my emotions to early in the piece (and having them somewhat exploited). And so, I haven't been as affected as on previous occasions. He did fully expect that I wouldn't want to see him again, however I do actually like him - I think he's a great guy! I really get on with him, enjoy his company, his sense of humour, and his very hot body! he he he! I was only thinking this yesterday - with all the other guys that I've spent a weekend with, by the end of the weekend, I'm really feeling the need for some space, some Monty time. With Bruce, there wasn't that feeling at all...I would have happily stayed with him on Sunday, happily slept over Sunday night - I just am really relaxed around him! So, I am very open to continuing our friendship "as is". I think that what we have is as good as it's going to get and to be honest, I can't be unhappy with that. I would love it to be more, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. He's concerned that my friends will think that he's taking advantage of me, in not allowing me to find a "real" boyfriend. But, I'm not particularly concerned about that...I have only 4 weeks to go before I go overseas and so I don't want to embark on a new relationship at this late stage. I'd much prefer to keep things as they are with him, our Friends with (snuggling) Benefits relationship and once I return from O/S, then start thinking about dating again. He's worried that our relationship is somewhat unorthodox, but you know, I've lived a very orthodox life up until a year ago, and so I don't really mind if it's a bit out there! Who cares! I've found a lovely guy, whose company I enjoy, who's fabulous to sleep with, who doesn't seem to mind hanging around me and who is, for want of a better description, a Clayton's boyfriend...the boyfriend you have when you don't have a boyfriend. Perfect for me at the moment, with my lack of motivation to date and limited timeframe. And the fact that we're not shagging isn't even particuarly worrying me either! Who'd have thought!!! It's been 3 weeks without it and I'm coping remarkably well!


So that's about it for the moment. I have had an awesome weekend, this week is a short one and this weekend is a long one! We're (McDreamy, Evan and myself and quite possibly Bruce) going down the coast to the beach house, and if the weather's like it was this past weekend, it will be FABULOUS!!!

8 comments:

Peter said...

Feeling comfy with a friend with the afor mentioned benefits is a steal. Bruce is just out of a long time relationship, you need to give the guy some time to get things straight.

Before you know it, and that's when you're back on Aussie soil in 2 months time, he can have things sorted... and with you not around he knows what he misses most.

{{HUGS}}

Anonymous said...

Hey, Monty.

Wow, I really didn't see that coming. Are you okay?

You sound remarkably equanimous about the situation — almost too much so! I know you must be disappointed that things didn't develop further with Bruce, and I hope you'll give yourself permission to do whatever grieving you need to. Believe it or not, the intense sadness that comes with a loss can make you feel as intensely alive as the joy you felt before the loss. Not as good, of course, but as alive.

I also want to say that I'm really impressed with the way you approached dating Bruce (and me, for that matter), being open to possibilities without overburdening things with expectations. That's something that most people don't learn until they've been through a lot more relationships than you have. Your maturity and generous spirit are inspiring.

If you'd rather not post this comment, I'll certainly understand. I would've sent it in an emai instead, but you mentioned in your blog that your email isn't working.

Call me if you'd like to talk. Maybe it's time we had that lunch we've been talking about but not scheduling....

Big suppotive hugs,
Channing

Tom said...

What's the rush Monty? Chill out, relax and let things take their natural course!

Tales of the City said...

Oh! Well Monty, I must say you are approaching this in a very mature manner. Do you think Bruce is wary of a relationship due to your up coming travels? Also does he read this blog? It is unorthodox but hey if you are both happy, go with the flow. That said if it stops being fun and starts hurting, then find that emergency exit door that you cabin crew will point to you..

Darth Gateau said...

before I comment on your post, I need to quickly hark back to the comment you left on my blog about aussiebums...

Have you seen Muzbot in just his Aussiebums and a smile?
(silent, personal squeal of delight!)
You should have taken photographic evidence.

Ok. On to other matters. Snuggle benefits should never be taken lightly or for granted so cling on to those!! Also...
impending arrival. You'll need to book us blogger boys up before our social diaries and dance cards get filled. I'm away the weekend of 5th October...

Sh@ney said...

We might meet a thousands souls before we stumble across the 'one' that makes it all worthwhile...At the very least you may make a few great friends along the way & thats not such a bad thing...Don't be too hard on yourself...The coming weekend sounds like a fabulous time to be had...Im jelous! hugs my friend xox

Single Guy said...

That's great! I am amazed how mature you are at handling relationships...maybe it was because you come out later in life? But it's great! You need to teach the rest of us how to handle such things...

kevin said...

Monty
You sound like a well balanced guy who got a grip on things.

As you rightly recognise, you have gained a friend with' snuggle benefits' and you have lost nothing. It's a great position to be in.

IF.. Bruce remains just a friend then you have gained a friend anymore more is even more of a bonus.

Im proud of your attitude.
Hugs
Kev in NZ

Labels