Saturday, December 01, 2007

Redoak...

The Redoak pub on Clarence St has some lovely memories for me. Last year, on my last day at work before heading overseas (for "Monty's Shagging Tour of Europe), my friends James and Jacqui took me there for a couple of drinks. Earlier this year, after a few drinks at work one Friday evening, James, Jacqui, the Cute Gay Work Guy and I retired to the Redoak for a couple more beers before I took CGWG home with me for a highly pleasant shag-a-thon! But I haven't been back there since.

Until last night, that is. I've been talking to this guy on Gaydar and he seemed very nice. And so, we finally arranged to meet up on Friday night. He worked near King St Wharf and I work near Wynyard. And he somewhat cryptically stated that he preferred if our meeting was "discreet". I read this as meaning that he probably wasn't fully "out", if at all. So, I suggested the Redoak...conveniently situated for both of us, and quite a straight joint. He also mentioned in one of his messages that he was not after a relationship or anything, just wanting to meet with friendship as the aim. That was OK for me - yes, I am after something more, however he seemed like a nice guy and this was before I had my Wednesday evening with the, errrr, generously aged guy I blogged about a couple of days ago.

Well, he turned up about 30 seconds after me and I was impressed. Tall (always a good thing in my books), handsome, and a very gregarious personality. He's 28 but has travelled quite extensively and so seems quite mature in his outlook. In fact, he told me later that the fact that I had travelled a fair bit was a serious attraction for him. And we ended up talking mostly about travel - I can never have enough travel and he's much the same. But after a couple of beers, I start asking him the inevitable questions about his sexuality..."why are you 'discreet'"? As it turns out, he's not "out"! No real surprise there...he's as blokey as they come (he even is a season ticket holder for the Bulldogs rugby league team). "Are you gay?" He also confesses that he's actually undecided as to his sexuality. It all starts making sense then.

But we're getting on fine and I'm thoroughly enjoying the evening. It's great to be able to talk about rugby league with someone who sleeps with guys (even if not exclusively)...there's not a lot of gay guys who are really into their league! But I did expect that the evening would end there.

After 3 pints, I was starving and so I mentioned that. I was somewhat surprised when he suggested that we find somewhere on the North Shore (where I live) to eat. Not being one to miss an opportunity, I countered with, "Why don't we go back to my place and we can order some home delivery". He readily agreed. We grabbed a taxi and before long, food long forgotten, were happily ensconced in my bed, going for it like there was no tomorrow! And I've gotta say...sensational!!! I'm a bit of a fan of bi-guys now! (the fact that he told me he enjoyed kissing me more than any chick was also slightly gratifying) And yes, Soul Seared Dreamer, he too was a great kisser! LOL

We actually lay in bed for about an hour afterwards, continuing our conversation from the Redoak. It was actually really enjoyable. He's probably the most blokey guy I've ever slept with...and I've gotta say, I was liking it excessively.

He didn't stay the night, but he definitely would like to see me again. This is nothing more than a physical thing - he's been very upfront about that, and I'm not expecting anything else. But I have to say, the physical thing is rather marvellous! He's certainly Mr Right Now, but he's also a very entertaining person to talk with, so he has good friend-potential. And unlike his dating predecessor, I actually wouldn't mind putting in the effort to get to know him better. Who knows, it may be difficult to have a friendship, considering the "straight" life that he leads. But even on a discreet basis, I certainly wouldn't object to a night or two here and there in his company.

Anyway, tonight I'm off to see my good friend DG - he's a bit run down from a heavy workload (and I suspect from his recent breakup) and so we're just going to get some home delivery and watch a DVD and catch up. I'm really looking forward to seeing him again as we've not seen each other since I returned from holidays. So it'll be a good evening, with good food, good conversation and a good friend!

3 comments:

T said...

well Monty : if you can upgarde from women to men then you can upgrade from league to union or AFL. [ Go the Sydney Convicts !!! ]

Monty said...

Never! I'm always going to be a league fan!!!

Superchilled said...

It sounds like an interesting connection, and they're one of the joys of life. Enjoy it and see where it goes.

Labels