Monday, December 10, 2007

What a difference a year makes...

I was invited to a BBQ yesterday but before I went, I actually was thinking about the last few weeks and this past week in particular; how busy my social life has been since I returned from overseas. And I couldn't help but think back one year and the difference in my life.

At this time last year, I was relatively recently out to my parents and friends, and as a consequence, had been cut off by both my parents and a significant portion of my friends. And so I had very few friends and thus, my social life had plummeted quite dramatically. I had only a couple of gay friends and a couple of straight friends and so although I was seeing them regularly, the bulk of my social contact was gaydar dates. Although I was having fun, last December was a bit of a struggle for me as I was missing my family and friends big time!

Whereas this year, although naturally I still miss my family and friends, I've made lots of new friends and so my social calendar since returning has been non-stop! Most of my social life is now with friends, with only the odd Gaydar date which is much better! Walking into the BBQ yesterday, I looked around and instead of knowing one or two guys, I knew probably about 10 guys which was great!

I've gotta say, the support and friendship I've received over the past year from my new friends has been overwhelming. I'm feeling like I'm in a really good space at the moment - loving life and having a good time!

5 comments:

Phil said...

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Monty, one that is full of happiness, good times & sweet memories.

Cheers matey,
Phil

Single Guy said...

Good for you Monty! Good to see so much change in one year!

Campbell said...

It's a great feeling Monty.
I hope 2008 brings you more good things.

Campbell said...

....oooohhhh.....just seen that you don't approve comments before they're published anymore.....wonder what that's symbolic of?!?!?!

W said...

Fantastico. Friends spread happiness.

Labels