Saturday, December 22, 2007

Dinner Party...

Well, it's 3pm Saturday and I've been up since 6am and I'm just a touch weary! I got up so early (which is so unlike me) as I had to go to the flower markets out at Flemington. Unfortunately, it seems that most of Sydney had the same idea...traffic was appalling - had to queue for about 15 mins on the highway just to get in the gate! Anyway, I bought up big and have done up two arrangements. One is for the table, the other is on my hall stand. I'm hoping that they'll last until Christmas, in which case, I'll take 'em down to the beach house.

I then went grocery shopping. Now I normally don't do groceries until the afternoon (my mornings are usually devoted to sleeping in and then getting some breakfast and reading the paper) and so I didn't know whether it would be busy or not. Of course, it's the weekend before Christmas so it was crazy! But I battled through the crowds and into Woolies! And then I realized why I don't go in the mornings...there's all these flipping old people doing their shopping! And they are soooo slow!!! I'm sorry to all the old people out there, but they have all the time in the world DURING THE WEEK to go and yet, leave it until I'm needing to rush around on a Saturday! Grrrr...

Anyway, I've come home, made the dessert, made the main, and prepared the entree. Now I'm half-way through cleaning my apartment. It's just so hot and sticky today that I needed a bit of a rest...hence this post.

At Campbell's request...the menu.

Entree - Lightly steamed asparagas spears, wrapped in smoked salmon, with shaved parmesan and a sweet balsamic dressing
Main - Veal Scallopine with a fresh garden salad and baby potatoes
Dessert - Brandied Apricot Trifle

I've got champers to start with the hors douvres, a nice WA Chardonnay Verdelho with entree, and the bottle I'm fanging to try out - 2002 Grant Burge "Holy Trinity" Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre - will accompany the mains. I've also got my last bottle of Lamont's Navera which I will serve with dessert. And of course, I suspect that my guests will probably bring some more wine and so I have a feeling that this will end up being a bit of a lush evening! Wahoooo!

Well, my rest time is over...back to the cleaning! Hope everyone is having a great weekend! :-)

4 comments:

Peter said...

Those so called 'old people' want fresh produce just as you do! I see those looks too when I'm shopping in my wheelchair, and I have the whole week off... I just want to be part of life.
Yesterday my farmers market grocer and nut seller looked strange at me because I was there early in the morning instead of at the end of the day.

yani said...

I shop very, very early every weekend, so I do agree that the "old folks" appear in droves first thing to get their shopping done... but I'll tell ya, I'd much rather have to deal with a few old folks than a similar number of mothers with children or families... at least with slow old people it's easy to lap them...

But then I do use one of the small, narrow "racing trolleys" that you put plastic baskets in, rather than a giant clunky trolley...

:)

Campbell said...

The menu sounds divine! So how did it go?

Canberrabiker said...

You should have come and done your shopping here in Canberra - everyone has left for the coast, so no crowds to speak of. A delight to go shopping and no queues !

Labels