Sunday, August 26, 2007

You've Got Mail...

I found myself unexpectedly at home this evening (Saturday). And so, thought it would be a good opportunity to catch up on some DVD's and bad take-away food. So I toddled off to the video store (why do we still call it a Video store when it doesn't actually have videos?) and rented myself a couple of DVD's, purchased a tub of chocolate icecream, and then drove to KFC and got myself a really unhealthy serve of fried chicken and the delicious KFC chips and came back home! It was going to be the perfect night in!

As it turned out, I flicked on the TV and an ad for the night's movie was on..."You've Got Mail" starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. I saw this movie when it came out - I think it must've been 1998/99 - and I loved it at the time. It was at the time when email was really becoming entrenched in life and the internet was passing from that interesting but useless phase into a quite handy tool to have. And that movie opened my mind the world of internet dating! It's your very typical Hollywood romantic comedy, but I still thought it was awesome. I actually went out and bought the soundtrack to remind me of the movie!

But I haven't seen it since, and so when I saw it advertised tonight, I thought, hang the DVD's - I'll watch the TV movie! It's soooo perfect, the way everything works out - and of course, it only ever happens like that in the movie. But I've talked to so many guys who keep saying that you'll never find love over the 'net, only sex. But, to be honest, I would like to believe that love can be found on the 'net, just as it can be found across a crowded nightclub, or in a pub, or at a friend's dinner party - it's just one of the tools that you use to meet guys. It's happened for my lovely friend Evan - he met McDreamy via Gaydar. In fact, I was having dinner with him on Thursday night and he told me how much he loved McDreamy. This is nothing new to me, he tells me that all the time. I had lunch with McDreamy today and you know what, he told me how much he loves Evan. This is also nothing new to me. These two guys have met and have clicked and it's fantastic to see their relationship grow and develop. I am constantly telling them that they give me hope that I too will be able to find a guy that I can love, and that will love me back. And watching the movie tonight, well, it was lovely! A fairytale - yes - but still, I would like to believe that it is possible! Naive - perhaps - but hey, I'm a hopeless romantic!

And so, I'll persist with Gaydar for the time being. At the moment, I'm not doing a lot with it, as I'm rather taken with Bruce, and who knows what will happen. I'm trying to be sensible about it, taking it one day at a time - don't want to run too far ahead of myself. But, I'm open to all possibilities with him so we'll see how it goes. He's away this weekend as well, and it's killing me! I can't wait to see him again. What's worse, he's out of mobile range, so I can't even talk or text him! Arghhhh! So, bring on the end of the weekend, when I can at least talk to him again, or better still, see him! I must say, it's wreaking havoc with my work - I'm tired all the time as I don't really sleep that much when I'm with him and I am easily distracted by his emails and texts.

Anyway, it's now 1:10am Sunday morning and my bed (and all the lovely new linen) is calling me. I do hope everyone else is having themselves a great weekend!

8 comments:

Sh@ney said...

Hey hey, we were awake until the same time this morning...I went to bed about 1.15...Not that there is anything significant, apart from the timing...Now that I think about it, it probably wasn't even worth mentioning...Anyhoo I would believe for the longest time that it is near impossible to find love on an internet dating site & not much has changed...I have all but rid of any such profiles I had recently & decided the only way I am really going to meet people is to do it out of cyberspace...I couldn't be more pleased for McDreamy & Evan, but somehow it has eluded me. I am guessing through my own timid, reclusive ways. When I was dating the opposite sex, I met a girl from WA, she would eventually leave her family to move to Brisbane, just to be with me. That should have been the warning bell, for what ensued was 12 months of mental agony I don't wish to go through again. We all seek love & happiness in our own way, there is no right or wrong way, just your way! I hope everything works out for you Mister...big hugs xoxo

Muzbot said...

It was a good night to have in last night. I too had planned watching a dvd and playing the playstation, but just ended up lazing about on the lounge listening to some tunes. I've never seen You've Got Mail as I'm not a Hanks fan. But finding "love" on the net? Now there's an interesting thought.

Canberrabiker said...

sigh - nice blog entry Monty - I think a lot of it comes down to an enormous amount of luck and being in the right place at the right time. I saw YGM with my "one true love" in Feb 98 - a very intense relationship that only lasted 6 months. We'd met through me answering an ad in a magazine. I'm not sure that's any different from answering an internet ad.

As for the movie - yeah I kinda liked it, but I don't like it when movies make me cry - which it did. Damn I hate that, I'm TRYING to be a bloke here !!

T said...

it is all just luck and timing, Monty. The right place and right time.

Monty said...

Shaney, nice to know someone else was having a similarly late night. I hope that you find love in which ever way you seek it...you seem like a lovely guy! Canberrabiker - I think answering an ad in a mag is just the same as internet dating...that's how it was done "in the old days". lol But yes, it does all come down to the right man at the right place at the right time fundamentally! Cheers guys! x

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

Internet romances sure as hell do work. I agree.

Darth Gateau said...

Muzbot... your comment seems laden with meaning....

My fave stay-in-and-be-a-girlie- for-the-evening film is Love Actually. Awwwww. Makess me feel all dewy eyed just thinking about it.

I spent Saturday evening out with TOH but a lot of the day attempting to reduce my brain age on a Nintendo DS. Nicole Kidman and I are so on the same wavelength.

Brechi said...

I don't see why meeting on the net is different from anywhere else.

Labels