Saturday, August 04, 2007

The High Moral Ground...

My great friend, Englishman in Budapest, and I generally chat every Sunday night for at least an hour or two. (we haven't for the past few weeks as he's been on holidays in the UK) We've done so pretty much since I returned from overseas in November last year. And in these conversations, I tend to download to him my weekly happenings...and over the past 10 months or so, there's been plenty happening in my life - if you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll know what I mean.

Anyway, EIB has been a good friend, confidant and source of advice. But he's always had the high moral ground, not being the sort that just picks up guys in bars, via Gaydar etc for casual sex. In fact, it's been some time since he's, ahem, been with a guy. Now, if you saw his blog a couple of months ago when he posted a PST pic, you'll see that he's a good looking guy! And, from personal experience, I can say that he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet! He's intelligent, witty, a good conversationalist and a good cook; he's got himself a house in the UK, stable employment, travels often. So he's a bit of a catch! When I first met him, I confess to having a seriously huge crush on him...that has since developed into a very good friendship which I am eternally greatful for. Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that having been celibate for a while, he could look down from his pedastal at Monty and his slutty summer of fun and tut tut (in the kindest, most non-judgemental way) at the stuff ups, foolish moves and unfortunate encounters that I made and I had NOTHING on him! He had angelic purity and was unreproachable which was frustrating for me!

Well, I was chatting to him the other night and he mentioned that he was meeting with this 23 yr old guy the following day. (EIB is 39 btw) I said words to the effect of, 'isn't he a bit young for you?' and his response was 'Get your mind out of the gutter, I'm just going to be a shoulder to cry on, he's just broken up with his B/F'. I said 'look, I know how guys operate, he wants more of Mr EIB than just a shoulder, you're a rebound shag', his response 'no he doesn't, he just needs some advice and a hug'...I said 'you've been warned'. Now, knowing EIB as I do, I have seen his willingness to help others, particularly his students, past and present, but also guys like myself who need a bit of advice and a bit of a shoulder to cry/lean on. So, it wasn't a surprising thing to me that he was meeting up with this guy with completely altruistic intentions.

Imagine my surprise on Tuesday night, when I was out at dinner with Evan and McDreamy, to get the following text messages:

EIB Drought over, hurrah!
M Congratulations! Who with???
EIB 23 yr old. You were right by the way! Am wrecked but still at gym. Home for a snooze tho. Round 2 this evening.

Now I was very excited to hear that he'd finally decided to get himself a shag! Very excited indeed...I almost jumped up and did a little victory jig, but thankfully, restrained myself! But then the realisation hit me...he'd come down off his pedestal and shagged a guy 16 yrs his junior! A guy who may have been just a little bit vulnerable, after his break up. A guy who was in the UK on holidays! This was not someone who had the potential to be a long termer, this was a short term encounter! And then the good stuff started to flow in me, the fact that FINALLY, after 10 months being on the receiving end, I was going to be able to stand on the high moral ground and give it to him! (in the kindest, most non-judgemental way) I was almost salivating at the thought, particularly in light of my previous warning!

Got home around 10pm that night and rang him straight away! I have to tell you, it was the best feeling. I enjoyed every moment of it...and EIB knew it. I couldn't stop laughing all through our conversation, I was chuffed as chips! I love him dearly as a friend and there was nothing malicious about it, just a nice little bit of revenge for Monty!

I've just read his blog - he's posted about 6 articles about this young twink he picked up (tee hee, sorry EIB, I just couldn't resist one last jibe) and it does sound like it's been a great breakthrough for him, which I am really happy about! I'm delighted that he now feels ready to love and be loved again, after having built up an almost impenetrable barrier (to guys wanting a relationship) over the past few years. I doubt this is going to change him materially as far as his attitude toward the casual encounter type of thing - he's just not that kind of guy - but I'm glad that he feels open and ready for the possibility of a relationship now!

So, my dear friend EIB, congratulations! I'm thoroughly chuffed for you! Look forward to hearing how things go for you!

2 comments:

Englishman in London said...

Blimey Monty!

I didn't really think you would post, and certainly not to this extent.

Glad you now feel you have had the moral highground on me, although I prefer to think you have had one jump on the moral pogo stick.

You can stop basking in it now . . . .

Englishman in London said...

Monty,

Looking to book few days in Warsaw - yes - that Polish twink I picked up!

xx

Labels