Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Weighty matters...

...and No, McBrad and I haven't been discussing getting married, having children or buying a house together. The Weighty reference is much more personal.

I was talking to my trainer Greg the other day...I had just benchpressed 65kgs and I was quite excited...and I told him that it was the first time that I had managed to lift my own body weight. (when I signed up in January, I was weighed and I was 62kgs) He kinda looked at me quizically and said, "I don't think you're still 62 kgs Monty."

I must say this took me by surprise as I hadn't really thought about my weight - having been skinny (though I prefer the term "slim") all my life, weight (or rather, the putting on of weight) was never a worry. I have always eaten whatever I liked, with very little consequence in the weight department. So, Greg and I decided to weigh me!

And guess what...70kgs!!! You could've knocked me down with a feather!!! In my wildest dreams, I would never have thought I would hit the big Seven Oh! And yet, I've managed to put on 8 kilos in a matter of 4 months. AND, I hasten to add, Greg assured me that it was all muscle mass that was the cause of such weight gain. I've not just turned into a lard arse, I've actually got muscles! Yes, that's right folks, Monty has Muscles!!! Will wonders never cease! Greg actually got me to stand next to him in front of the mirror and made me take a hard look at my body - pointing out where my new muscles were, the progress that he had noted - and you know, suddenly I realized that I HAVE filled out much more. I've actually gone from being skinny Monty to regular sized Monty, with some nice tone in my arms, legs, chest and shoulders! It's all rather exciting!

I must say, looking back, I had noticed that my clothes were starting to feel just a bit more snug and a couple of shirts that I purchased in London in Oct last year were starting to really strain at the buttons, but hadn't really connected it with my exercise regime.

So I was one excited little black duck! Rushed back to work and told Jacqui and John and then that night told McBrad and have been telling friends ever since!

Greg told me yesterday that I've made the fastest progress of any of his clients and that he's really quite chuffed at what we've accomplished together! And I really have him to thank for it...he's the one that's pushed me to keep at it, to extend beyond what I think are my limits and it's worked! And continues to do so!

Coming soon...Hunky Monty! he he he!

6 comments:

tyler said...

working out has been such a way of life for me since i was 15 that i take it for granted. it is a part of my life as much as eating and breathing to be sure.
i enjoyed reading your take on your success with working out: it is refreshing and wonderfully innocent. i loved reading it.
peace,
tyler

Tom said...

Good on you Monty! Don't go too muscly though - there's nothing worse than those fake tanned tree-trunk like body builder types!

Monty said...

Trust me Tom, I don't think it's possible for me to get all tree-trunky! AND NO FAKE TAN!!!

Adaptive Radiation said...

I, too, put on 8 kilograms in the last few months. Unfortunately, in my case, it is all fat. Maybe I should get a personal trainer instead of relying on my gym buddy who seems to alternate between back pain and recurring knee injury.

Sh@ney said...

Geez we are so similar in our weighty issues. I have pretty much struggled my entire life to gain weight & can eat what ever I like.

But just recently I jumped on the scales and whammo I have gained 4 kgs. That is a first EVER for me & has me a little concerned that it may stay on an upward trend now...LOL My concern is my age of course and that whole middle age spread that could be attacking!

Might be time to start working out!

Superchilled said...

So when do we see the Muscle Monty Montage?
Congrats on achieving your goals! (even when you least expected it)

Labels