Sunday, May 11, 2008

Home is where the heart is...

It's a very common saying but until now, I've not really thought about it. Muzbot wrote a post about his new residential situation, in the Potts Point/Kings Cross area and it got me thinking about my own situation.

I've lived here on the North Shore for 8 years and have loved every minute of it! And I never thought I'd ever contemplate moving from here either. I love the leafy green-ness of it, the quiet residential streets, houses with big gardens, families, and it's close proximity to the City. Most of my friends live on "the other side" - mostly in the Ghetto that is Paddo/Darlo/Surry Hills etc and so I was always catching taxis over and back or driving myself (if I wasn't drinking). But I was always happy to come home to my little North Shore pad.

But now, I'm spending the weekends and most week nights at McBrad's (in Surry Hills) and suddenly the North Shore seems a little cold and lonely...and way too far away! I have really loved living over here, but if/when things progress more with McBrad, I will have to face eventually leaving the "dark side" and moving in with him. And you know, it doesn't concern me half as much as I thought it would. It is true...home is where the heart is. If McBrad is there, that's where I want to be. No question about it. And I must say, having spent so much time there in the past 6 weeks, I'm starting to really like Surry Hills - it's got lots of trees too, there's some nice little parks, great cafes and the best thing, it's practically walking distance to most of my friends. I am saving a fortune in taxi fares, though, at the moment, am more than offsetting that with Bridge and ED tolls!

Anyway, that's all still some way off...

11 comments:

Single Guy said...

Wow! moving in already!!! or thinking about it. Things do move fast in Monty's world!

Darth Gateau said...

that area of town is also virtualy cake-central so I think everyone's nuts to live anywhere else!!

Adaptive Radiation said...

...And all those fab restaurants too!! Icing on the cake.

Darwin said...

I'm in much the same situation - I have always lived in a peaceful rural part of Cape Town, far from the city and my friends, and loved the peace and quiet - but I have been spending all my time at Mr Hotty's place in the City Centre - now my place just makes me lonely...

Muzbot said...

Don't get me wrong : I miss the North side a lot! I miss it's atmosphere of quiet streets on the weekends, it's spacious feeling even though it's Sydney's second business district, it's footpaths that hug the harbour foreshore and that thai restaurant that makes the best pad thai in Sydney. Trust me, Ive now tried all the thai restaurants in this suburb! But, the move has given me a couple of new opportunities, including making new friends.

James said...

Spotted: Monty and McBrad crossing the street holding hands in Surry Hills. Very sweet.

Don't worry about the pace thing. My ex and I were living together within about three weeks of meeting, though he officially continued to live with his brother for a further six months.

Mr Jones said...

Goodbye North Shore.

Monty said...

Ahhh James, was wondering if you'd make a comment about us! Lovely to see you by the way, sorry I couldn't stop and chat.

GB said...

Soz it's been so long since I popped by to see you here Monty. But very glad to hear about you and McBrad :-)). Does he know that you're a blogger though? Also, is there a pic of him somewhere here? If not, do send me one if you have time :-).

GB xxx

Tom said...

You couldn't persuade McBrad to move to the north shore?! Traitor! ;)

Sh@ney said...

Hey, sounds like someone may be in the nesting phase...*winks*
Nate & I moved in together with in a month, if it feels right do it. If not, you know it will happen when the time is right!

Just make sure it is what you want Monty. It all felt right for me at the time, but I must confess, it had quite a negative impact on other aspects of my life, no matter how happy I was to be close to my baby!

Labels