Thursday, June 19, 2008

Apple...

OK OK OK, I know that I will get HOWLS of protest and condemnation at this, but I just don't understand the crazies that have queued since lunchtime YESTERDAY to be the first people to get into the new Apple store that opened about 10 minutes ago. I mean, there is nothing in the store that they can't buy elsewhere. These people have queued for 30 odd hours, overnight, in the middle of winter, to get a free T-Shirt. Some even flew in from California to attend. I mean, seriously people, get a life!

My friend, and fellow esteemed blogger Tom, joined the queue this afternoon and I went down a couple of times to say hello and keep him company. Now Tom is an Apple fan - I've worked that out quite easily from his blog - AND our Tom has a bit of time on his hands, given that he's on a sabattical, for want of a better expression. And in his words, "I've got the time, so why not!". And I can kinda understand that. I still think I'd be able to find more fun things to do than sit in a queue for a couple of hours but hey, each to their own.

Me? I'll pop into the store in a couple of weeks time when the frenzy has died down. If I feel like it. If I have nothing better to do. It's a shop for goodness sake, it's not that exciting.

PS Just saw Channel 9 news and for the eagle eyed among us, you would have noticed our Tom's 8 foot tall self made an appearance...twice!!! :-)

13 comments:

Cahill's Rest said...

I know! I don't get it either. I went down an hour ago to pick up stuff from Coles and couldn't believe the que! It really just looks like a jazzed up Ikea store. Bizario!

James said...

I don't understand the Apple thing either, except for the apparent need for some Mac users to feel a certain "I don't use Windows" smugness. I, on the other hand, can feel completely smug as I'm a Linux user.

Victor said...

I spent a small fortune purchasing a jazzy MacBook last April which I thought I would come in handy when travelling. I've only used it once so far.

Darth Gateau said...

I've already mentioned on my blog some time ago that I just don't understand the whole Apple frenzy. I love my iPod but as for other Apple stuff... pffft.

And standing outside a store that'll be open for decades..? Why?

Sunshine said...

Apparently, in the US, people were selling their spaces in the queue for their Apple store opening. It's a crazy world out there. :P

Tom said...

@ DG Why? Well, why not!

Right, off to sell my free T-shirt on eBay! :)

I missed the Nine news - I didn't make an appearance on the ABC or Ten news... am recording SBS just in case!

yani said...

To quote something I read in the paper today...

"It's just a shop."

:)

Darth Gateau said...

wierdly, the Apple store has been open in London for quite a while and there wasn't this much hullaballoo - wow! I quite liked typing that. I'll do it again.

Hullaballoo

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

Yeah I don't get it either.

But each to their own.

@Tom: Good luck selling the Tee

Tom said...

@DG - Not so, the London store was the first outside the US and there was much more hullaballoo than Sydney! There were more than a hundred lining up overnight!

Anyway, I'm going to slink back to my own blog now rather than defend myself to Monty and his merry band of unbelievers! :)

IAN said...

Manhattan is littered with those Apple shops!
Don't go in unless you are prepared to spend money

Adaptive Radiation said...

Love my new imac (it's so pretty) but certainly not enough of a fanatic to camp out for the sake of being one of the first to get into an Apple store.

Monty said...

Yes, well the free T-shirts were all size XL which I thought was hilarious! All these peopel would've ended up with a massive Tshirt they'll never be able to wear unless they are 8 foot tall (like Tom) or hugely overweight! :-) They're all trying to sell them on EBay now and some crazies are paying up to $150 for them!!! What the...???!!!

Labels