Monday, January 28, 2008

Life's Unexpected Twists...

OK, so apparently my core strength is quite good for someone who's not exercised for the past decade. On Thursday at my appointment with my Personal Trainer Greg, he put me through a series of exercises that was designed to check out my core strength. He seemed quite impressed. Then again, he may say that to all of his new clients...just to butter them up. I walked home again, but this time, my legs were so sore that every step was agony. I could barely lift one foot in front of the other. Halfway across the Harbour Bridge, I was seriously contemplating getting to Milsons Point and jumping on the train; I just didn't think I'd be able to make it all the way home. But, I decided that if I'm going to be serious about exercising, then I would need to just work my way through the pain, not give up. And so I persisted and made it all the way home.

There was added incentive in walking home, I must admit. Because, at Waverton station waiting for me, was a guy. I was talking about it to Muzbot on Saturday at his birthday pub crawl, about how very ironic it was that when I had my rant a couple of weeks ago, the pieces were already starting to fall into place in relation to this guy. Let me go back to the start...

We met in very classic circumstances...it was late December, we'd both been to our respective work Christmas parties and had left them. We were both a little bit pissed (well, actually, thinking back we were probably both quite a bit pissed) and both ended up at the Columbian Hotel on Oxford St. I'm not a huge fan of the Columbian so normally wouldn't have gone there, however I was meeting my lovely friend SG there - hadn't seen him for a few weeks. Anyway, I went to the bar to order a drink; crowded bar, so I was kinda right next to this tall guy. Didn't really take much notice of him, I was more intent on getting the attention of the bartender. But he obviously took notice of me...he commented on the fact that I looked rather pleased with the world. And it's true, I often find myself grinning inwardly (and obviously outwardly too) when I go to a gay bar...it's still a new enough experience for me to find the thrill in it. Anyway, this guy had a smashing smile himself...I just melted. So, the upshot of it was that I took him home that night. When we awoke the next day, we actually talked to each other and I found him to be a lovely guy. Originally from country NSW, professionally employed, living in Bondi, 29 yrs old. A really nice honest kinda guy. We exchanged numbers when I dropped him home, but you know, I wasn't really expecting anything to come of it. I've been there enough times to know that! We had one more conversation, a couple of days later and in it, he told me that he was actually moving to Canada in February, for a 12 month working holiday. Doh! And so I figured that was it...no point in pursuing anything with him.

Christmas came and I went down the coast; he went home to see his family and was going to spend a couple of weeks relaxing up there. I messaged him Christmas Day and NYE, to which he responded quite positively. I went back to work and got on with life...and in the process had my little rant. The day after Rant part II, I was working back late at the office. He (his name is Mack by the way) messaged me to see if I was still in the city...would I like to catch up for a quick drink? You betcha baby!!!

We met up at Martin Place Bar and when I saw him again, that gorgeous smile was still there. I couldn't resist...I ended up taking him home again. But still, I was questioning myself...what was the purpose of seeing more of him when there was such a limited time frame? We ended up discussing it that night at home, snuggled on the couch. He admitted that he was really attracted to me and couldn't believe his bad luck in meeting me with only 6 weeks to go before leaving. My sentiments entirely. But it was good to talk about it, to get things out in the open. We ended up deciding that yes, we both like each other...a lot! But there had to be an end...namely, his departure. So, for want of a better description, we decided that we would have ourselves a "holiday romance". And so, since then, we've been dating. We've been to the movies, we've been to dinner, he's stayed in at my place, watching DVD's and eating leftovers for dinner, I've stayed at his place. I've met a few of his friends, he's met a few of mine.

And so, I find myself in a strange situation. If Mack was not leaving, I know that there's a good chance I would find myself falling in love. As it stands, I'm not letting myself go there. I am thoroughly enjoying being with him. He's a joy to be around...his sunny smile lights up the room (well, for me anyway) and his open honesty is refreshing. I love snuggling into his hairy chest (of course); he tells me that he loves me going to sleep in his arms. It aint perfect - after all, it all finishes soon. But until then, I'm one happy chap! As the saying goes, it's always darkest just before you turn on the light...and trust me, the after my little dark ranting period, it's nice to have some light!

8 comments:

W said...

Your holiday romance kinda reminds me of the plot in Ugly Betty, you know when she falls for Henry and decides to go out with him even though he is leaving for Tuson in a few weeks. Do not tell me that you don't watch Ugly Betty.

You both sound cute!

Tom said...

Hmmm.... Haven't exercised for a decade huh? The second half of the post made me think of a few "exercises" you could do to improve your core strength! ;)

Anyway, it's great you're happier? Is a trip to Canaydia on the cards for 2008?!

T said...

Smiling inwardly and outwardly ! Go Monty XXX

Darth Gateau said...

Enjoy it all! You never know what can happen.

Stay with your usual glass half full attitude!

IAN said...

Take it easy with the exercising. The rest time is when the work gets done.(I'm not kidding!) Make sure you've recovered from one workout session before you start the next. As you progress, you'll find you need less and less time to recover and before you know it you'll be in the gym almost every day!

kevin said...

Enjoy your holiday romance. I am so happy for you mate.

Kev in NZ

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

Sod's Law. Enjoy it while it lasts.. just don't get hurt over it Monty... be happy :o)

GB said...

If nothing else mate, it's good practice for when you find a nice guy that's NOT emmigrating!

GB xxx

Labels