Saturday, January 19, 2008

Up, Up and Away...

I feel like I'm turning into Tom, with all my travels! My gay brother Mark, who lives in London, turns 40 in April (6 days after I turn 37) and so, as most of his friends live here in Sydney, has decided that the best way to celebrate would be to meet in the middle somewhere.

So, he's organized to have a week long celebration in Thailand - Phuket to be exact - and being the GBP earning exec that he is, has booked 4 beach front deluxe villas at this rather ritzy resort. Of course, he's not paying for them, only for his own. But thankfully, they're not that expensive relatively, and they do look gorgeous! And so, last week, we were trying to book our flights over. Went onto Jetstar's website and, once all the taxes, food, etc were added onto the bill, it came to a grand total of $1271. I was expecting somewhat less than that and so was quite suprised at how much this so-called budget airline was charging! I had a flash of inspiration and decided to check out how much Singapore Airlines would charge, just to compare. Well, turns out, their cost was $1321...yes, that's right, for $50 more, I get the legendary Singapore service, all the extras, AND (and this is the BEST part) I get to fly on the new A380 between Sydney and Singapore both ways!!!!!!!!! Travel time is a bit more; you have to deplane at Singapore and fly with their budget subsidary, SilkAir, to Phuket; but still, who cares?! And having joined Virgin Atlantic's Frequent Flyer program last year to fly to London (thanks again to Tom's brilliant suggestion), I also will acrue miles flying with Singapore. So I'm totally chuffed with my little win! Told the other boys about it as well, and Carter has booked on the same flight and another of Mark's friends, Davo, is also going to book with them too! So it should be a great flight!!!

And here, I was promising myself that I was going to reduce my travel this year and save more $$ and three weeks into 2008, I've already committed (or spent) about $2500 on overseas travel. Oh well, it's all for a good cause...after all, how often does your big brother turn 40?!

7 comments:

Mike said...

40 was easy ... it's when your little brother turns 40 that you feel your age...

Tom said...

I feel like I'm turning into Tom

What, you feel you're becoming even more good looking, charming and charismatic? Surely that's not possible! LOL.

Have fun in Phuket, which I think in the local dialect is pronounced F*ck-it, but I can't be sure. ;)

Darth Gateau said...

Get you! I'm a bit at sea with travel booking at the moment. All travel plans on hold until the 'big' plan is decided. I love Thailand. I'm slightly envious.

Peter said...

Mike beat me to it, but in the mean time you both can celebrate your birthdays with friends!

kevin said...

It's good to hear you'll be jetting off overeseas again.

Im surprised too that Jetstar's cost is so high. These so called budget airlines in this part of the world dont seem so 'budget' afterall.

Enjoy Singapore Airlines,
Kev in NZ

W said...

Travel is funnnnn...
I am so jealous of you right now, being that you're down unders and the AO is underway and all those hotties are turning up shirtless to watch eqyally hot action on the court.

Hope you have very fun and safe travels!

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

Good on you. Enjoy yourself.. travellin is always great, and Phuket is lovely place.

Labels