Sunday, July 08, 2007

Dinner at Chez Muzbot...

Well, it's now Sunday afternoon, a drizzly and cold day outside and me, inside with my paper and heater. It's the exact opposite of yesterday, with its blue skies and buckets of sunshine. But the overcast weather kinda suits me today. It's perfect for staying at home with the paper, catching up on some blogging, maybe a DVD.

It was another sensational Saturday night for yours truly, with my highly anticipated dinner at Chez Muzbot becoming reality. Muzbot made a variation on his recently posted Moroccan Lamb a la Muzbot - Moroccan Chicken a la Muzbot! And it well and truly lived up to the hype! I'm very impressed! I turned up around 6.30pm or so and he was still making it and I loved the fact that he was not reading a recipe but just throwing stuff into the pot...the hallmark of a natural cook. Delicious, not over spiced, subtle flavours, tender chicken and perfect cous cous all combined with a lovely wine that I am fast becoming a fan of (and which was introduced to me by Muzbot) - Logan Weemala Merlot 2004, from the Central Ranges of NSW. I've never been a fan of Merlot - I find it too smooth and a little bit bland - much preferring the big bold flavours of Shiraz. But I must say, this particular Merlot has won me over. Warm aromas of dark berries, just a touch of violet, and soft flavours of plum and chocolate. Mmmmm chocolate! No wonder it went soooo well with our chocolate dessert last week! I was also able to introduce Muz to one of my favourites, Shiraz Viognier. It's 95% Shiraz and 5% Viognier so it's still predominantly Shiraz with it's lip-smackingly delicious berry flavours but just a little less of the earthiness; the Viognier helps soften the sucker punch that Shiraz can have, and adds some lovely top notes to the bouquet. So I think it helped us both expand our wine horizons.

But, as good as the food and wine were, the company was what made the night! As always! I do love a good dinner party with 4, 6, 8 or 10 people - always makes for amusing conversations, lots of laughter and a variety of topics. But equally (and fast becoming more so), I love a dinner for 2, where you can really get to know someone. Anyone who knows Muzbot would agree that he's an easy person to be around; he's laid back and a little bit reserved, but still good company. And last night was no different. When you are one on one, you can be more open with each other; the conversation tends to become quite personal and so it's just a much better way of building a friendship. And that was what last night was for me. I feel I've got to know Muz a bit better, and I hope he's done the same in relation to me.

So from food perspective, Muzbot's cooking rates 4 1/2 stars (can't rate it 5 stars, he'll just get wayyyy too smug). From a good company perspective, he gets 5 stars. :-)

The last 3 Saturday nights have been all quite different in their composition, with the first being the fabulous night at Priscilla, whenMatt from London was here, last Saturday night's inebriated dinner party (and part McDreamy strip show) with Evan, McDreamy and Muzbot, and last night's very relaxed and thoroughly enjoyable dinner (and holiday slide show) with Muz. In their different ways, they have been equally excellent! And next Saturday night should be just as fun, down the South Coast at the beach house with Evan and McDreamy and me cooking Monty's Famous Beer-up-the-bum Chicken for dinner! How lucky can a guy be, to have such fantastic friends and such memorable weekends! After the roller-coaster which was May/June (and which is thankfully very much history), these last couple of weekends have been just the perfect panacea! Thanks guys! Look forward to many more!

8 comments:

Campbell said...

I hope these weekends last longer than Henry VIII's wives - you deserve them.
Have a great week at work followed by an even greater weekend at the beach house.

Christerbjorn said...

Hey Monty,
I'm glad to hear that you have had some good weekends and I'm very fortunate to have been a part of them. I too have had some great weekends, thanks to yourself, Evan and Muzbot. I think that the Beach House will be even more fun in alot of ways, fear not, the most shocking thing from myself maybe the flashing of the yet unseen tattoo. But I'm looking forward to getting out of Sydney for the weekend and just having an outrageous time, I won't say much more than that, maybe there will be another cross dressing exhibit on the cards, will just have to see what mood I'm in.

Monty said...

Campbell - well, I'm up to three, so I still have another at least 3 to go - this weekend is taken care of (and if McDreamy's comment is taken into consideration - it's going to be VERY interesting indeed) so it will just be the next two that i need to sort out. I have a good feeling that I'll manage 6 good weekends in a row!
McDreamy - Now I'm scared! But kinda intrigued! I think a beast has been unleashed! Can't wait to see the tat! *wink*

Tom said...

Monty's famous beer up the bum chicken. I'm sure you're a fantastic cook Monty but you need to work on the menu descriptions! It has some potential if you translate it though... poulet biere-en-cul? ;)

Monty said...

Tom, it is fabulous to eat and I reckon the name is pretty fun! Obviously, when you steal my recipe and put it on the menu at "Tom's Place", your French title will look much more impressive! ;-)

altraeis said...

hahaha, now the French translation does sound nice, but not nearly as descriptive as yours Monty.

Enjoy your weekends, it's friends that make life so rich and rewarding.

Muzbot said...

Monty - oh you do go on! A good night is created by all parties involved... and it was a good night, so thank you. It's nice to know we have cemented the foundations of a good friendship.

- Muz

Monty said...

Thanks Simon, I do happen to agree with you...friends are the very important thing in life! Seeya Thursday!

Muz...I do go on, but it's all true! But I am very happy to have established a great basis for a lasting friendship!

Labels