Sunday, February 11, 2007

Monty's first Mardi Gras...


Summer has always been a busy time of year. In my 'previous' life (ie straight), December was full on (obviously) and January as well - with the Sydney Festival and all of it's many activities like the Symphony in the Domain and Outdoor/Moonlight Cinema. Plus all of the social activities organized by either myself or my friends, the picnics, BBQ's, parties etc. Summer in Sydney is SENATIONAL!

But this year, amidst all of this activity, one of my friends asked me..."so, what are you doing for Mardi Gras?"...and to be honest, I hadn't even thought about it. I knew it was around March sometime, but had no real idea when exactly it was on. Nor had I considered how I would be involved (if at all). Mardi Gras was just never in the equation for me in the past.

And so, three weeks out and I still don't know what I'll be doing. I do know that I'll be going to the parade and watching it from the sidelines. NSSG (bless him) invited me to march with him and DG but I don't think I'm quite ready for this just yet. As I've come to learn about myself, one thing at a time - best not to jump into it before I'm ready...baby steps are the way to go! :-)

But am I going to the after party? Dunno. I'm tempted, just because it's my first MG and so I think it would be fun and interesting. And as Dane mentioned to me the other day, the two of us would probably be the only guys there who weren't on drugs! LOL So should I go to the party and cough up $130 for what will be a really large dance party? Or save the $$ and just go out on Oxford St? Is the After Party really worth it?

A few guys have mentioned Toy Box at Luna Park the following day...and that's really tempting...Luna Park is just around the corner from where I live so it's very accessible. And sounds like heaps of fun!

NSSG (bless him yet again) has booked us tickets to some Queer Screen movies which sounds very interesting. He's such a good social organizer and is very sweet to invite me! I'm looking forward to that as another hitherto unknown aspect of MG.

And DG has booked tix to see Priscilla which should be great! That's later in March but I'm really looking forward to that. I've heard great reviews about it.

BUT the one BIG thing I really really really want to see as part of MG is...Sing-a-long Sound of Music! It's on 23 Feb at the State Theatre, but unfortunately, no-one I know wants to go!!! And it's not for want of trying! I've begged, cajoled and threatened...all to no avail. It just doesn't rock the boats of my friends! BUT, I was having coffee with my Spunky Masseur yesterday (the one who doesn't give 'happy endings') and I mentioned it to him and he really wants to go too! So, he's going to check with some friends of his and will let me know. He's even got the makings of a costume for it (a Nazi soldier). I hadn't thought about going in costume, but if he's doing it, I will have to. I put on the CD (yes, sad I know) yesterday arvo for some inspiration and think I've got it...A Prince on the bridge of a Castle Moat (heard lay oh da lay ee oo) - for those of you savages who don't know Sound of Music verbatim, it's from the "Lonely Goatherd". So, now my challenge is to find a costume store with some sort of Prince costume...or make one myself (not a good idea). I really don't want to go as a nun (how un-original) or Maria, or the Captain, or anything obvious - and I think the Prince idea could work...and hopefully, I won't look like a complete dickhead!

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself...will have to see if Spunky Masseur can find some friends who want to go. So watch this space!

Anyway, happy Mardi Gras everyone!

6 comments:

Muzbot said...

I was sitting in a Japanese restaurant the other day and saw the poster for "Sing-a-long Sound of Music". Part of my mind went "Ha, that would be so much fun". I then felt like I should be slapping myself for thinking such thoughts! Who knows, I may get the courage to go and see it and I might even have a good time. But I'll pass on Mardi Gras. A few thousand half naked men dancing around in a room... Where's the fun in that? :)

Monty said...

Well, Muz, you're very welcome to join me...in costume or not. It sounds like a blast! And I'll promise not to slap you (well, unless you really want me to...) ha ha! ;-)

Campbell said...

I've not been to Mardi Gras before. Is it a festival type of thing over a period of time, or is it just the parade and after party? We have just finished Midsumma here in Melbourne. I like the festival approach where you can pick and choose what you want to attend.
I reckon Mardi Gras is probably something you want to go to at least once if you can - just so you can say you've experienced it. Whatever you end up doing, have fun.
The Sing-a-long Sound of Music does sound like fun!

Monty said...

Campbell, it is a festival so it does have a number of different events which you can pick and choose. The highlight is naturally the parade with the after-party and the Recovery parties the following day.

Single Guy said...

I feel very blessed! LOL

I think you should totally experience the dance parties at least one. I like the harbour party but it always sells out

Mikey wants to go to the sing along. He may have tickets!

Anonymous said...

Great blog...enjoyed the read immensely.

Sound of music sing a long always sounds like a great time. Perhaps its one of those once in a life time things. But before i buy a ticket, I am always reminded that it is a 3 and a half hour movie!!!!

...and I have a terrible singing voice.

I think the sights and sounds of the dance party is a must-do for everyone at least once. If only for the WOW factor.

The few times I went were fantastic, but not something I could do repeatedly year ater year. The year I also bought a seat in the bobby-goldsmith stand was also a highlight. In the midst to the tinsel, and sequins of the marching parade, there were many rich social messages...

Have a great Mardi Gras! Hug a hundred strangers for me....

Labels