Monday, February 12, 2007

Sheets and other miscellaneous haberdashery...


When I first moved out of home, my mother reiterated to me the need to hang my sheets and towels out to dry on the clothes line, instead of using a clothes dryer. She told me that the vitamin A or D or whatever it was that we get from the sun is good for the sheets etc. Now, I don't know if there's scientific backing for what I would call an Old Wives Tale, but it's been ingrained into me and so I continue to hang my sheets and towels out on the line.

You see, there's nothing quite like slipping between fresh sheets at night; sheets that have been dried in the sun that day. Although the heat of the sun has dissipated, you can't help but feel the essence of the sun as you slide between the sheets and inhale the fresh, crisp warmth. (I know it does not make sense to inhale warmth, but that's the best way I can describe it...all five senses are involved when it comes to freshly washed and dried sheets) And so I washed my sheets yesterday and hung them out to dry. Unfortunately, I didn't take them off the line soon enough and so the only essence you can feel on the sheets at the moment is the rain!

So, my sheets will need re-washing and re-drying once the sun comes out...but once that happens, that very night I will be having one of those little thrills of pleasure I get every time I change my sheets! It's one of those secret weekly pleasures that make life just a little bit more enjoyable!

5 comments:

Single Guy said...

oh..um...I should start drying my sheets in the sun..you make it sound so sensual:)

I'm a yank and we dry everything in the dryer! I love that crisp feel when you take things out and they are basically baking.

Campbell said...

You're so right Monty. There is nothing better that slipping into a freshly made bed with clean sheets at night - except perhaps slipping into that bed with someone! My idea of luxury would be to sleep in clean sheets every night. Of course that luxury would extend to me not being the one to wash and hang them out!!

Monty said...

Well of course Campbell, a hot guy between said clean sheets is the ideal...but accepting the reality of life at the moment, the sheets will do for the moment! :-)

kookyknut said...

I really like using towels that are just out of the dryer after a nice long shower. Yes, LONG! I have single handedly emptied Warragamba Dam.

Monty said...

Ahhh, I see I have discovered another person with an infactuation for long showers! I must confess, along with Kookyknut, to being party to our current water crisis!

Labels