Friday, February 02, 2007

A Disappointed Fan...


I met up with a guy the other week for lunch...met him on Gaydar and although there was no major attraction, in the course of our conversation, we discovered we work for the same employer. So, we met up for lunch.


Lovely guy - and a very entertaining lunch! This guy is into muscles in a big way and Rugby League - two not incompatible interests! He let slip that he had seen Ian Roberts' profile on Gaydar and had even sent him a message...an as yet unreplied-to message. This was very exciting news for me! I have been an Ian Roberts fan for years! And in fact, as part of my coming out research/homework, I read his autobiography, which I actually enjoyed! It combined two of my favourite things, Ian Roberts and Rugby League!


Anyway, I raced home, armed with his profile name, looked it up and sure enough, there was Ian staring at me across the Net! I couldn't help myself, I had to send him a message. So I did. I tried hard not to make it gushy - I just wanted to say hello, and to convey to him my personal thanks for the step that he took in outing himself as a gay sportsman in Australia.


Well, tonight he retrieved my message (got one of those Read Message things) which thrilled me! I waited breathlessly at my PC, waiting for him to reply. Alas, there was no reply! I didn't ask for sex, or even make a suggestive remark, I simply tried to connect. But I suppose he must get bucketloads of messages on Gaydar and so mine would've been just lost in the crowd. But it would've been nice for him just to reply with a "thanks" at least.


Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.


I'm off down the coast this weekend. The weather forecast is looking good! Should be lovely to chill out and spend some time with a couple of friends from work. Have a lovely weekend everyone!

5 comments:

nickwallacesmith said...

hi, i think you are right in your analysis of ian's non-response - he must get tons of messages - i usually think the best of people till proved other wise. maybe he's looking for sex there (as many are) and just doesn't wanna get distracted from the main chance! anyway, have really enjoyed reading your blog. will be a regular. nick

Single Guy said...

Not into muscle or rugby? what's wrong with you? just kidding..LOL

Monty said...

Trust me NSSG, I am a big fan of muscles and Rugby League!

Campbell said...

Hi Monty, hope you had a good weekend down the coast.
I came across your blog when reading a comment of your's on another blog. Great networking system hey?!
Looking forward to reading more on your blog.
Take care.

calm balm said...

there are so many stories about that ian...hahaha
nice blog monty!

Labels