Sunday, October 12, 2008

The week...

Well, what a week it's been! Not only a massively turbulent week for the global financial system (and the global economy) but also a very turbulent week for McBrad and myself. Obviously, as I've already posted, it's been a shocking week for my gorgeous man but thankfully, he's had so much support from his friends, both here and in the UK, (and I've gotta say, it was really lovely of you all to pass on your condolences and good wishes, via my blog, Facebook and sms) and so he's managed to get through the worst of it. The funeral was yesterday and he messaged me late last night to say that he was feeling better, albeit still very sad. So it's as good as can be expected.

As for my week, well, apart from the upheaval on Tuesday/Wednesday, it's been up and down. Thursday night I had a client event to attend. The Bank is the Principal Sponsor for Opera Australia and so the Bank and the Opera co-hosted the Opening Night of OA's production of My Fair Lady, starring the mighty fine British actor Richard E Grant. I took a couple of clients along and they loved it. I had a great time too. The production was fantastic and despite his lack of musical experience, Richard E Grant did a terrific job of Professor Henry Higgins. At half-time, it was a bit of rubber necking at the assorted celebrities which was rather fun, if a little juvenile! :-) Met up with fellow blogger James as well, which was an unexpected (and pleasant) surprise - the second time in less than a week - he certainly does get around! ;-) And the after-party with the cast at the Hilton was buckets of fun (and buckets of champagne too - hic). Didn't end up leaving until 1am which is probably not the best idea on a school night. Thankfully, we were officially sanctioned to be a little late and hungover, given that we spent the night with clients. I must say, the evening was a pleasant distraction after the previous couple of days events.

I've gotta say, I'm finding it really strange to be living at McBrad's without him actually being there. Poor Noodle still walks around, looking in vain for her daddy - she's missing him too. I think the worst thing is sleeping by myself in his bed...no gorgeous guy to snugggle up to at night, no good morning cuddle, no late night pillow chats. I miss his smile, I miss his conversation, I miss doing the mundane things with him. I just miss him.

One thing that I did do yesterday, to keep myself entertained, was to build a new garden for him. We talked about it last weekend as the back gardens have been ever so slightly neglected for the past 6 months. And so I had already decided to surprise him by doing a garden makeover on the smaller of his two gardens out in the back courtyard...originally he was going to be working yesterday (Saturday) and I was going to have it all done before he got home. Obviously, he's not here at all so the timeframe was a bit more relaxed. But I surprised myself by having it all done in a few hours. It looks sensational if I do say so myself. I do hope he likes it when he gets home.

Anyway, that's about it. A reasonably quiet weekend on the homefront - I went out for a few shandies last night with my mate Dan, and had brekkie with another friend Con this morning. My friend Jacqui is coming over tonight and we're going to have dinner and I'm going to show her a Pam Ann DVD which I've been raving about. So that's it. It's gorgeous weather at the moment, clear skies, buckets of sunshine and a light breeze. Perfect Sydney weather really! Hope everyone has had a great weekend!

8 comments:

MadeInScotland said...

Richard E is the brother in law of one of my former business partners in Scotland.

He can be a little OTT, don't you think?

Anyway, is McB from Scotland, or just his parents? Whereabouts-East/West coast (it makes a difference)!?

ahoj

Campbell said...

I saw My Fair Lady when it was on here in Melbourne earlier in the year Monty. It had Reg Livermore as Henry Higgins, who played it well. I guess Rex Harrison set the precedence for non-musical types playing that role. I don't know that this musical suits Opera principles - not sure that I liked Eliza who was played by an OA principle. Anyway, it was an enjoyable spectacle and my school boy memories of being in it came to the fore. Apologies to people sitting around me hearing some very non-tuneful humming!

I'm glad McBrad is getting lots of support. Are you counting down the days yet?!

Monty said...

Czechout - McBrad's from Loch Lomond - so it's the West coast.

Campbell, I've been counting down the days since he left - but alas there's still 15 days to go...sigh... :-(

Charlie said...

Monty, he'll be back soon and I'm sure the two of you will find ways to catch up on lost time :P

Keep your chin up x

Anonymous said...

No pics of the new garden for us?

Monty said...

Stu, I forgot to take my camera over so will do so sometime this weekend and will download in due course! :-)

Tequilla Mockingbird said...

Dear boy,

Just catching up on reading my favorite blogs, and of course had to stop by my hunk of spunk. I'm truly sorry to hear about the McB's loss, that's awful. All you can do is be there for him, and I'm sure with all the love and support around him he will get back on his feet. Time is a healer, and one day, when he least expects it, he'll feel better.

T xxx

Adaptive Radiation said...

Move over Jamie Durie.

Labels