Sunday, September 07, 2008

Veging...

Well, it's Sunday afternoon and I'm here at McBrad's place. We had a dinner party last night with a few friends - nothing new there. But one of them is a vegetarian and so this was something new for me...having to cook WITHOUT meat!!! Now for a Nth Queensland bred carnivore, it's just not an option to have a meat free diet. So it was going to be a challenge to make an entire dinner without any animals being killed and cooked. But, thankfully, McBrad used to be a vege and so still had quite a few vege cookbooks. So, a desperate scramble through their pages resulted in an Orange and Carrot Soup for starter (which McBrad cooked), a Pumpkin, Spinach and Walnut Pie with steamed brocolli and Cauliflower Cheese for mains (which I cooked). We bought a Mango and Cocunut torte for dessert. I've gotta say, despite deeply missing my meat, it was a rather pleasant dinner. All the guests seemed well sated at the end, 5 bottles of wine were consumed (this may have helped) between the 5 of us, and no-one was violently ill. So a successful evening from all accounts.

McBrad had to work today so he left me in bed at 6am (which is terrible - it's that time of morning when you really feel like snuggling with the very hot man next to you) and so I had a bit of a lie in, then got up, fed Noodle the leftovers (we weren't sure if she'd be up for a vege breakfast but she thoroughly cleaned her bowl so obviously she's not fussy), took her for a walk, did all the washing up and then grabbed some lunch and read the paper. So it's been a fairly busy day really. And thankfully, it's been sunny and quite mild today - a nice change from the downpours of the past 36 hours. Tonight, McBrad's taking me out for dinner - not sure where yet. It's been another lovely weekend really. I'm eating a slice of the Mango and Coconut torte as I type this and I've gotta say, it's better the next day! Yummmo!

I've also discovered Scrabble on Facebook, thanks to Martin at TGLATEOTD and so stayed up until 1:30am Saturday morning playing. I LOVE Scrabble! So I'm excited about that!

Otherwise, it's all good here in my life. McBrad will be home in about 30 mins time and that's something to be excited about! Hope everyone else has had good weekends!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out for dinner tonite? Better have a carnivores delight, since you've missed a meal with meat.

I'm not alking about the *other* meat...

Tom said...

Food sounds really nice - well 90% nice. Would be 110% nice if garnished with a nice piece of beef! ;)

Facebook Scrabble is horrendous. Scrabulous was so much better. Grrr.

Does McB ever stay over at your house? It's your duty to school him in the delights of the correct side of the harbour bridge to live on! :)

Adaptive Radiation said...

A REAL vegetarian??!! Not even fish or chicken? That's challenging.

Monty said...

Peter, I have a very steady diet of my favourite Scottish sausage - never a shortage there! lol But yes, had a very carnivorous meal last night - delicious sirloin steak. mmmmmm....

Tom, due to the puppy issue, McBrad doesn't stay over mine - if I had an outdoor area, it would be fine for the puppy, however as I don't, there's no where for her. So I do stay at McB's - not really a big issue and as I've previously blogged about, I'm considering a move over to the "ghetto". I know, I'm selling out but I must follow my heart!

Yes AdRad, a REAL vege! Nightmare! But we managed! :-)

Darwin said...

At least you didn't serve meat to them - I have once before. But that was the BF's fault - that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Glad you are enjoying the Scrabble - I'm also addicted.

Tom: There are different versions - search for Scrabble Worldwide - it's blocked in the states and canada though - absolutely brilliant, SO much better than scrabulous was. The best is being able to play random games against anyone who is online, not just your friends.

The Mutant said...

I lived with a vegetarian for a while and you get a real understanding of it then. He was a fantastic cook though and I was never left wanting after one of his meals, but then I'm not a religous meat eater anyway. Even he cheated sometimes though, he was always partial to a bit of tube-steak!

Tom said...

Monty: Sell out!

Martin: Yeah, I've tried the official Scrabble and really don't like it... it takes forever to load and has adverts and all sorts of unnecessary crap. I was a huge Scrabulous fan so I can't be pleased really unless they bring it back! :)

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

I haven't had a chance to find a replacement for the scrabble obsession since scrabulous was removed by Facebook.

Sounds like a lovely dish. I fluctuate between meat-eating and vegetarianism.

Joshua Carrey said...

hey Monty, long time no blog. But the Slag is back.

As for your Danni Minogue lyrics...shame on you! I love La Minogue as much as the next gay man, but that really made me feel ill. Or maybe I'm just bitter!

On second thoughts, maybe I'll download "This Is It." It actually is a great song...!

MadeInScotland said...

i think we lost scrabulous on facebook here in UK

c'est la vie

ahoj

Labels