Wednesday, June 13, 2007

This is how I'm feeling at the moment...

Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss
The brave man with a sword!

Some kill their love when they are young,
And some when they are old;
Some strangle with the hands of Lust,
Some with the hands of Gold:
The kindest use a knife, because
The dead so soon grow cold.

Some love too little, some too long,
Some sell and others buy;
Some do the deed with many tears,
And some without a sigh:
For each man kills the thing he loves,
Yet each man does not die.

Oscar Wilde The Ballad of Reading Gaol

7 comments:

Campbell said...

I know you're not the subject here Monty. Maybe you feel like the object. Go gently on yourself mate.

Unknown said...

do you think its a bad idea to send this to the person who makes you feel this way???? cool blog.

Monty said...

Thanks Campbell. The poem has just been in my brain the last couple of days...in some ways, I feel the subject, in some ways I feel the object. But I just think ol' Oscar hit the nail on the head, whatever the perspective. Hugs!

Single Guy said...

Hugs Monty. Thanks for your comments on my last post!

Tales of the City said...

Whats the matter Monty? Personally, I find Mae West's quips more useful in Life...

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

I think you need better bedtime reading material Monty ;o)

I always hated poetry back at school, can't say much has changed.

Monty said...

Lynette, thanks for reading my blog. I've had a chat with the person and we've sorted it out. All is good now!
CCTG and SSD - true...but I've always liked the pathos in this poem. And it was really me earlier this week. Am feeling much better though! Hugs.

Labels