Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Scottish thing...


Most people who know my surname would assume that it's of French derivation and so are consequently surprised when I tell them that's it's actually of Scottish origin. My surname is that of a small'ish clan that was based in the western highlands of Scotland and so, when I first travelled to the UK in 1996, I did a bit of a pilgrimage to where my family came from. It was rather exciting for me to visit the "family lands", having grown up in Australia, a country with barely 200 years of European/Anglo-saxon history. In Scotland, there's an old ruined castle which had been the seat of the clan for centuries, there was a new "castle" which replaced it, as well as lots of other related historical sites. And so, when I came over in 2006 to out myself to my brother Mark (and to embark on Monty's Shagging Tour of Europe), I took the opportunity to take Mark up to Scotland for a long weekend, to show him all the clan stuff and let him experience our family history.
So I've had an enduring attachment to all things Scottish - I think the country is lovely (if a little cold and wet), the history fascinating and the people really friendly, if a little hard to understand sometimes!
And so, last night I was pleasantly suprised to add another reason for my Scottish appreciation. I had gone out with Jacqui, her friend Lynne, and four other work colleagues to the Glass Brasserie at the Hilton Hotel for an Earth Hour dinner. It was a splendid evening I must say! To celebrate Earth Hour, the entire restaurant was decked out in candles (in Jorge Jensen candelabra) and the menu was completely organic (including the wine). It's one of Luke Mangan's restuarants and so the food was spectacular, wine was excellent and the company entertaining.
I have been chatting to a Scottish guy (ahh, now you see where we're going with this) for a couple of weeks - initially on Gaydar and then via MSN chat. I'd actually organized to have lunch with him today (Sunday) so that we could meet. He seemed like a friendly guy, his pics were good and given my Anglo- and Scoto-philia (is there such a word?), thought it'd would be worth a try. Anyway, early in the evening, he messaged me, to see what I was up to later in the evening. I had originally planned to meet up with some friends at Slide for a few drinks after dinner, however, after his sms, arranged to meet up with him.
What can I say - he's gorgeous!!! He's 40, very well built, lovely tan, handsome, and with a charming Scottish accent. A lovely guy, we had a couple of glasses of wine and got to know each other better. He actually admired my chest of all things - for which I gave a silent thankyou to my trainer Greg - which I couldn't really understand, as he's got a HOT body! But apparently, he thinks I'm not too bad on the eyes! At the end of the night, he asked me when I'd be available for a "real date" ie dinner etc. I was rather pleased at this turn of events and, playing cool, suggested next Friday night to which he agreed. I received an sms this morning - "I could make myself available tonight if you want to have dinner". Yippee - I quickly responded to him in the affirmative. I'd also actually mentioned to him last night that I had never seen the Harry Potter series of movies (which he owns on DVD) and so I received another sms from him - "If you want to see the HP movies, that will commit you to another 4 dates as well". No problems here! Happy to commit to another 14 dates actually!!! Not that I will, I hasten to add, as I'm trying to play this one cool. He's the one who's displaying the enthusiasm which I'm a big fan of!
So, who knows what will happen to this one. The good thing is...he is a permanent resident of Australia, has purchased a terrace in Surry Hills and so is not about to choof off overseas!!! A Big plus!!! :-)

14 comments:

Campbell said...

Well Monty, as you have pointed out in the past, our clans have been on the opposite side of the battlefield at various times in history, but I'm sure we can put that aside for the good of the bigger Scottish picture!

I watched again the first Harry Potter last night. I reckon you'll enjoy them, although it sounds like you may well be distracted!

Good luck!

MadeInScotland said...

of course, I'm quite partial to a bit of Scotland myself (my blog gives it away, I think).

ahoj

Darth Gateau said...

I can heratily recommend a Scottish liaison. It's most illuminating and very rewarding...!

James said...

Hey Monty, he sounds great. I share your love of all things Scottish and Irish too. Harks back to my own heritage, I guess. My only advice is "don't play it cool". Don't play it anyway, just enjoy it and have a great time. Don't think too much about it. Don't feel like you should act this way or that. Just enjoy yourself and be yourself and have a great time. James

Englishman in London said...

Hey you!

MSN'd this morning - what were you up to?

Good news with man o the highlands.

Fingerss croosed fer yooo

Tom said...

There was quite a link between scotland and france which could explain the surname thing. You often see scottish cars with the french word "Ecosse" on the back :)

Crikey, forty! He's cradle snatching you! But well done on finding someone who isn't going to piss off out of the country in a few weeks! :)

Monty said...

James, good advice. Had an awesome date last night and he's keen to see more of me so I'm just letting it happen! And enjoying the ride! :-))

DG - yes, you would appreciate the joys of a Scotsman! And trust me, so am I!!!!! ;-)

yani said...

Interestingly enough, there was a thing on "Who Do You Think You Are?" last night about the Scottish troops that liberated part of France during WWII... which I was just reminded of by Tom's comment...

As for your surname, so long as you're not too closely related to a certain Australian showbiz family, that's all that matters ;)

WOOHOO on the Scottish Liasion... and double woohoo that he's actually a resident.

I'm with James though... BE cool, don't PLAY cool... nothing wrong with taking your time, and if he's up for repeat dates this early, then you obviously already have him hooked...

*does the little dance* Go Monty, it's ya birthday, not for real real, just for play play...

*ahem*... I'll be going now...

Monty said...

Yani, the important relatives are a West Australian wine growing and restaurant owning family!!! he he he!

But yes, am just taking it one fabulous day at a time! No games! :-)

Cahill's Rest said...

Am dying to know how Harry Potter went!!!!! I lurve Glass btw...the food is exceptional.

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

About time you found a local... I was starting to think thid going for guys who are about to fly off was a weird kind of fetish.

yani said...

Shame about the Western Australian part Monty ;)

And Soul, Monty's fetish is just for the accents... :P

Superchilled said...

Western Australia ain't so bad!
And I'm not fom there - so I'm unbiased.
Sounds like things are gogin well Mr Monty - enjoy enjoy and good luck with your work!

Monty said...

Well, I quite like WA wines - the Margaret River and Swan Valley wineries are excellent! And my "family" has vineyards in both! And a couple of Perth restaurants. So I'm not bagging WA at all...! ;-)

Labels