Saturday, February 23, 2008

"Wild Wednesday" challenge...

A couple of weeks ago, the Superchilled Trevor put out a "Wild Wednesday" challenge - to post a self-taken photo. So, albeit a bit late, here's my entry!

The story behind it...29 September 2006. I flew out from Sydney and after around 20 odd hours of travel, landed at 6am in London. Tubed it in to Parson's Green station, where I was collected by my brother Mark. Back to his place, he was in the process of getting ready for work. We had a quick chat and then he was gone. I had the whole day to myself and as tired as I was, I was also excited. I hadn't been in London since 2002 and so there was lots to see! I also knew that I had to stay awake the entire day so that I could start getting my body clock aligned with European time instead of Aussie time. Had a quick shower and jumped on the train into central London. I spent the day basically walking around taking photos. I didn't want to go into any museums or churches or anything, as I was pretty much a zombie and wouldn't appreciate it. So it was just a case of walking to stay awake. It was a lovely day which helped too.

Anyway (there is a point to this story) I walked along the Embankment right up to Westminster (Houses of Parliament) and walked around it as I wanted to get a photo of the statue of Richard the Lionheart. After taking the photo, I kept walking around it and came to two gates; one entry and one exit. The entry gate had a sign "In" and the exit gate's sign was (suprise surprise) "Out". As soon as I saw it, I knew I HAD to get a photo with it. Why? This was my official "coming out" day. You see, I had planned to tell Mark that night that I was gay. And although I had taken my first few steps into the gay world in the previous month, I knew that once I had told Mark (being a member of my family), there was no going back. It would be a fait accompli.

So, it's my official Coming Out portrait! :-) I look like crap because it had been about 48 hrs since I had last slept properly and was dead on my feet, but hey, it makes for an interesting story! Feels like a thousand years ago, and yet, feels like yesterday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If this is when you look like crap... I wonder what you look like if you're fresh out of bed.

Monty, you don't do yourself justice, you look great btw.

Victor said...

I agree with Peter. You are a sexy looking guy.

Darth Gateau said...

I think that you should now return to London and find yourself a bigger sign...

:¬)

James said...

Hi Monty,

The Other Andrew and I recently discussed the idea, and a few people responded on our blogs, so here it is…

Gay? Lesbian? Bisexual? Transgender? Intersex? Maybe you have a blog, are thinking of starting one, or just like reading blogs?

Then don’t miss an informal “Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex Bloggers Meetup”. in the lead up to this year’s Mardi Gras.

It will be a great chance to catch up with some other people whose blogs you may (or may not) have read, It’s totally non-political and non-pretentious. In the midst of “our season”, let’s just catch up and meet in a life beyond the computer screen.

When: Thursday February 28, 5.30pm
Where: Courthouse Hotel Beer Garden, 202-204 Australia Streets, Newtown 2042. Tel: (02) 9516 4103. The pub is located on the corner of Lennox and Australia Streets, opposite Camperdown Park. It’s just a brief walk (a few hundred metres) from Newtown Station, off King Street. Directions on Google Maps. There will be a sign on the table indicating the blogger meetup.

It’s a great pub with a terrific beer garden out the back. They charge normal prices for beer and food.

More info…. http://jamesobrien.id.au/glbti/

Hope you can come, and please pass this on to other bloggers who might be keen.

Cheers

James

Adaptive Radiation said...

I agree with Peter and Victor. You look pretty good for someone who feels like crap.

Btw...my siblings were also the first members of my family that I came out to. They were both fantastically supportive. Hope yours were too.

Labels