Monday, November 26, 2007

Three naked ladies...

My naked ladies...these girls hang above my bed.

My parents first acquired them around 1980 - mum loved them however she didn't feel that they were appropriate for the more public areas of our house, and consequently they were banished to the hallway that lead to our bedrooms. I thought they were awesome, not for the nudity, but just for the sheet beauty of their poses, the free flowing hair that barely covered their modesty, the fact that they were more sketches than a painting, the fact that they were so completely different from any other artwork in our house.

And so afternoons would find me hard against the opposite wall, sketch book in hand, faithfully trying to copy it. I still have my sketch book with a couple of my versions of these girls. I was just enamoured of them. Looking back, I wonder if my gayness was showing even then...a teenage kid enthralled with 3 naked ladies for their artistry, rather than for their jubbly bits.

And so, when I decided to move to Sydney, my parents gifted them to me. And they've been above my bed ever since (I too share my mother's sensibilities in terms of where they're not the most appropriate to be hung) It's probably kinda strange for guys that I bring back to my place, to see three naked ladies perched above my bed, but they're part of my history, and I think they're just sensational!

1 comment:

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

They are quite sensuous to look at.

The closest thing I have to art in my house is a picture I stole from work.. ok not stole, 'borrowed' ;o)

Labels