Monday, August 11, 2008

City2Surf...


Well, I finally allowed myself to be pursuaded to go into this year's City2Surf - a 14 km "fun" run between Hyde Park in the city to Bondi Beach. Thankfully, the Bank paid our entry fee and gave us a free singlet and provided hot food, copious amounts of alcohol and massages at the end otherwise I wouldn't have done it. As it was, I walked it...I'm not that silly to attempt to run it! Instead, it was a lovely meandering Sunday stroll - and it was quite a pleasant day I must say. For the most part, sunshine and a light breeze, some fabulous views of the city and harbour, and this group of about 8 hot boys dressed only in their Budgie Smugglers kept me entertained. Unlike Tom, who's practically a professional, we started in the "Back of the Pack" and so it wasn't until 10am (ie a full hour after the start) that we actually ran over the starting line! This was about 20 mins AFTER the winner had crossed the finish line! Anyway, I must confess to having enjoyed the day much more than I had expected.

5 comments:

Tom said...

Glad you enjoyed it! Don't be so cynical about running it - 3 years ago I was the same and now look!

By the way - here's the link if you want to join them next year! ;)

Monty said...

Ha ha Tom...as if! I don't think the world is quite prepared to see Monty in Speedos just yet! And it's way too cold!

BUT I'm expecting that you'll be joining the boys next year, now that you're all fit and everything! (oh and trust you to find the website...dirty dirty boy). :-)

Tom said...

Well, maybe - but not sure I'm willing to drop back down to the plebs at the back of the pack now I've secured my spot in the second group! But no - the world is barely ready to witness me in speedos in the water - let alone on dry land running!

PS - it's not a dirty site - it's just your dirty mind working overtime as usual! They're a popular brand amongst us ocean swimmers! :)

Phil said...

Good on you for making the effort Monts :-)) I think Rich would have been beside himself had I said "why don't we do the City2Surf"? He'd have been up there with Tom, you & I coulda been bringing up the rear pervin' at the "aussie bums" :-))

Monty said...

Phil, there's always next year! :-)

Labels