Sunday, March 18, 2007

It's Her 75th Anniversary...



I'm rather excited at the moment...tomorrow, well actually today now that it's 1.30am Sunday, I'm going to do the Sydney Harbour Bridge walk with approximately 200,000 other Sydneysiders to celebrate the Bridge's 75th anniversary. It's a big thing here in Sydney; they're actually closing the Bridge off from 4am until midnight which is the longest time the bridge has ever been closed!

I was reading an interview with the guy in charge of the Bridge maintenance team in the paper today and it was fascinating, seeing his very personal and up-close perspective on the bridge. And he said that the bridge is more than an "it", an impersonal piece of infrastructure. He called the bridge a "her", with moods, personality and language. And I thought that sounded pretty cool. I think everyone in Sydney feels an affilliation with the Bridge simply because of it's (or rather her) importance to the city. Not only does she carry thousands of people across the harbour on a daily basis, both via car and train, but also is a fundamental tourist attraction. It's an iconic part of Sydney!

So I'm feeling rather chuffed that I get to walk across the bridge later today to celebrate with my fellow Sydneysiders, and afterward, end up at the Lordy or the Hero in the Rocks for a beer or two.




Happy Anniversary SHB!

2 comments:

Campbell said...

I've just been watching some of the celebrations on TV (think I might have seen you amongst the throng - there were a few hotties!!!). It looks like a great day for a walk.

Single Guy said...

I was there at 1:30 too! Wasn't it amazing and grand! the sea of bright neon green hats!

Labels