Sunday, March 18, 2007

Desperation...

It's interesting, I had this great chat with my mate Englishman in Budapest on Sunday night, as we generally do, and I was feeling a little down. I consider him one of my closest friends now - he gets all of the details of my life (both sordid and sacred) downloaded to him on a weekly basis - he's very level headed and gives me his perspective on things. He's helped me many times and he's also great for a laugh!

Anyway, the conversation progressed to a discussion about how desperation can be quite a turn-off. And this week, I experienced it first hand. Met up with this guy on Tuesday night after work for a drink in a pub in the city. He'd told me he was divorced from his wife and was the proud father of 3. OK, so there's bound to be a little baggage. But he seemed nice enough and so agreed to meet him.

We had a good time, had a couple of beers and a pleasant conversation. He kept telling me how good looking I was and how hot I was etc etc and I thought it was best I tried to keep him a bit grounded by telling him that I was seeing a couple of other guys later in the week (which I was). Just so that he knew he wasn't the only guy on my radar and to be honest and upfront with him as well. Whether this is a good idea or not, I don't know. But I'd prefer that to pretending he's the only one in my life! Hey, we met on Gaydar for crying out loud, it's practically expected.

Anyway, he was a bit put off by this. But I was glad, because I thought he was getting way too much into me, I'm sure he was planning for me to move in with him...just the way he was talking! So, we parted ways and I told him that I'd definitely talk to him again, see him etc. He is a really nice guy, don't get me wrong...he just was very enthusiastic about me.

Two text messages on the bus home. And then another one when I got home...the third one saying words to the effect that he didn't like the other guys I was seeing and hoped that I would pick him. I didn't reply.

Got a message later that night on Gaydar. Same sentiments. "Don't keep me waiting because I'm seeing other guys too and you might miss out" kind of stuff.

Got a text at 7am the next morning. I didn't reply. Got a text about 8:30am..."why haven't you replied to me?" I replied...it was a busy morning and the day was going to be insane! Another message at 1pm that day - "thinking of you, is that wrong?". And since then, at least a couple of texts each day! What is this???

On Tuesday night, I quite liked him, thought he was interesting, kinda cute and reasonably sane. With each text message, he just sounds more and more psychotic! He just seems so desperate to get into a relationship with me! or perhaps not me specifically, but anyone - I'm just the guy that showed up at the pub!

And I've now seen exactly what EIB was talking about on Sunday night! Desperation is VERY off-putting! And it's made me determined NOT to be like that in the future (not that I have ever been quite so intense)...I'm going to be calm, collected and chilled...even if I think I have met Mr Right! And I'm going to stop thinking I've met Mr Right until he becomes Mr Right - and that will take quite a few dates before that happens!

EIB comes to Monty's rescue once again!

6 comments:

Englishman in London said...

Gosh Monty,

How flattering you are! Blush . . . blush . . .

Glad to be there (here) for you!

Have fun on your bridge walk.

Better beware bunny boilers. ;)

Campbell said...

You're right, desperation is a turn off. I would advise not seeing him again as it sounds like any expression of interest, even if only that of friendship or an intellectual and fun encounter, will be taken as a marriage proposal!
I have to admit to having been on the desperate side on occasion, although I think I managed to keep it in check, letting it express itself only in my fantasies. It is a sad state of affairs.
It's hard also, being the guy you are, friendly, respectful and interested in people and their stories - that can be misinterpreted by someone close to desperate, but you don't want to change that, cause then it wouldn't be you. You just need to be alert to the signs and cut it short when you recognise them.
Good luck Monty!

Single Guy said...

hmmm...you heart breaker. Too many freaks on gaydar!!! be careful! I once had a police man who got my rego details and started harrasing me 24 hours a day. I had a lawyer friend threaten him with an AVO!

Anonymous said...

Yep, that many messages would make me run for the hills.

Monty said...

Well guys, thanks for the feedback...I'm definitely running for the hills with this guy! I'll be letting him know tonight! Wish me luck! ;-)

Tequilla Mockingbird said...

As harsh as it seems, get rid! This guy sounds really desperate (that is not to take away from how yummy you are yourself mister!) and i see boiled bunnies and stolen identity ahead if you pursue this any further! DELETE DELETE DELETE!

I'm telling you, Gaydar is full of freaks. Stories like this are exactly way I am not on there.

Not that I have much luck NOT being on gaydar but still.

You are obviously a 'foxy moron'

T xx

Labels