Wednesday, November 01, 2006

It's not raining men, hallelujah!


Still in Mykonos, and it's still raining...torrential, pouring rain. I was out walking the narrow streets this morning and it came down...an absolute dumping, the streets were literally creeks, with water gushing down! It was quite exhilarating actually, I haven't experienced this kind of rain for a long time in Sydney!

So, instead of moaning on about my love life, or lack thereof, I thought I would instead, talk about Mykonos in late October - a Mykonos perhaps many have not experienced! It's mostly closing down now, there are no gay bars cranking out the dance tunes till the early hours, there's not the wall to wall eye candy walking around, and yes, Super Paradise Beach is completely deserted - the only other man there yesterday was a cat! (and even then, I didn't actually check if it was a boy cat, but seeing as how it was on Super Paradise Beach, I assumed it was a he) But it is still quite a magical place...the streets are quiet, the shop keepers are quite friendly and have time to chat. The harbour water is crystal clear and there are cruise ships here constantly - at least one a day, yesterday two were in port! I find this amazing at this time of year, when all the gay guys have disappeared, that the place still survives.

It's a place that, despite its dependence on tourism, still maintains its Greek heart. Yes, the menus at the restaurants are in Greek, German, French and English. Yes, they still serve chips as a side, but the Mousaka is the best I have ever tasted! This is the first place in Europe I have been where there is NO McDonalds, NO KFC, NO Burger King! Admittedly, there is a Starbucks, but that's about the extent of the Western influence!

An the quiet has given me time to wander the streets aimlessly, enjoying soaking up the atmosphere and to think...! And the questions that I have posed, well, they have seemed to have sorted themselves out! (with DG's advice, and the support of NSSG) It's amazing what a bit of time to one's self can do! It's what we have so little of in the city! Life is so hectic, time is at a premium, and so there is no time to sit back and reflect on life and what is important to us. I think I know now, and can go back to Sydney, ready for what will hit! And it will hit, I have no doubt about that...but I am ready!

Thank you Mykonos!

3 comments:

Single Guy said...

Mykonos is great. I love all the little side streets where you can get lost....etc

The weather is great in Syd. NSSG will be working overtime to set you up! I have lots of great Single friends!

Monty said...

Thanks...although I don't know, I feel I do, thanks to DG and your own blog! Look forward to meeting your great single friends! :-)

Monty said...

And meeting you too of course!

Labels